Granton Parish Church
This church replaced the former Granton Parish Church at Granton Road, near Granton Square. The new building was on on Boswall Parkway, more conveniently located for the expanding population of the area, then being developed with new local authority houses constructed by Edinburgh Corporation.
The church was built as part of the Church of Scotland Church Extension Scheme, which aimed to provide churches in areas where the population was expanding.
The new building is thought to have been officially opened on Saturday 25 April 1936.
The War Memorial from the former Granton Parish Church was moved to the new building some years after it opened and is now located in the grounds to the east of the church.
THere is more much information about the War Memorial and some of the men whose names are on it that you can access by following the links below:
Name and Denomination
|Original Name||Granton Parish Church|
|Original Denomination||Church of Scotland|
|Present Name||Granton Parish Church|
|Current Denomination||Church of Scotland|
Design and Construction
|1934||John F Matthew|
Some of the Ministers
|1952||Rev T M McFarlane, B.D.|
|1960||Rev T M McFarlane, B.D.|
|1974||Rev W C Thomas, B.Theol.|
|2008||Rev Norman A Smith|