Crewe Place – Click to enlarge

Crewe Place

Photo: D King.

Crewe Place
Click photograph to enlarge


This name is an old one, and was previously sometimes spelt Crew or Crue. There was a farm steading of this name immediately south east of the present Crewe Toll roundabout.

There was at one time a toll-bar at Crewe toll at which vehicles were charged for the use of the main road. The roundabout appears to date from the late 1920s when after the amalgamation of Edinburgh and Leith, the enlarged city built Telford Road and Maybury Road to improve access to leith from the west.


Crewe Bank

This street was named on 22 February 1934.

Crewe Crescent

This street was named on 22 February 1934.

Crewe Grove

This street was named on 22 February 1934.

Crewe Loan

This street was named on 22 February 1934.

Crewe Path

This street was named on 24 October 1935.

Crewe Place

This street was named on 22 February 1934.

This street was the scene of a tragic incident in World War II when two children were killed, and other people injured, by a German bomb. The following paragraph is courtesy of Willie Henderson:

The buildings 21- 27 Crewe Place are different from those surrounding them in that they have flat roofs. This is due to the tragic events of 29 September 1940. At 5:45 in the evening Mrs MacArthur of 27 Crewe Place was sitting in her lounge while her two children, Ronald aged 7 and Morag (not Moira as reported at the time in the Scotsman and Dispatch Newspapers 30th September 1940) who was aged 5, were playing in another room. A German pilot flying overhead at 20,000 feet decided to jettison one of his last bombs before returning home. The bomb scored a direct hit on the block of four houses at 21, 23, 25 and 27 Crewe Place. Mrs McArthur had gone into the hall towards the main door when the bomb struck, and was blown out of the house into the garden. She picked herself up and began looking for her children but they were buried in the rubble that was once their home. The rescuers took two hours to find Ronald’s body. Morag’s funeral took place on 2nd October to avoid her sixth birthday on the 3rd. Mr Charles Wilson, the family’s upstairs neighbour at number 25, also died. Thirty people were injured, seven seriously, in the incident. The flat roof of the building is a reminder of this tragic event.

Crewe Road Gardens

Crewe Road Gardens connects the West Pilton area with Crewe Road North, by a bridge over West Granton Access. The street was named on 24 February 1938.

Crewe Road North

Crewe Road North (and Crewe Road South, which is outside the area this website covers) was part of a long-standing route previously known just as Crewe Road. It was divided into North and South sections on 1 October 1926.

Crewe Road West

This street, forming a crescent to the west of Crewe Road North, was named on 24 February 1938.

Crewe Terrace

This street was named on 22 February 1934.

Pages about other areas

Home Introduction Main pages Maps Information Contact me